Ok, let's cut the crap - CLICK HERE to download a PDF printable of this recipe to keep - Enjoy, Marylin xxx
I don’t know if this is really a proper Portuguese chicken marinade but I do know it is super similar and freaking delicious. My Southo mum has been making it this way for yonks, we love it, the kids love it so that means you MUST make it. Now this is best cooked over a charcoal BBQ BUT I do roast it in the oven on a weeknight because it is that yummy. I get the lovely guys at the chicken shop to butterfly my chicken to save me time. Butterflying chicken speeds the cooking time up and helps evenly cook the chook.
- 1 butterflied whole chicken (approx. 1.5kg)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, whisk and pour over chicken
NOTE: this is best marinated overnight. Be sure to pat dry the chicken very well with some paper towel. If you have time, after patting dry the chicken, place it in a baking tray uncovered and pop it into the fridge for a couple of hours to dry the skin out and then marinate. That is only if you have time!
2. Pre heat oven to 200degrees and bake chicken breast side up tucking wings in for approximately 45min. Allow chook to rest for 10-15min before serving.
Serve with some roast potato chips and salad.